This position is pending Canada Summer Jobs funding and applicants mus be eligible for hiring under the terms.
Reporting to the President of the Board and with training provided by the Treasurer, Secretary and Rentals Coordinator of St. Albert Botanic Park, the employee will learn about non-profit administration, develop workplace skills and gain career-related experience. This will be achieved through work experience in marketing, basic accounting, and liaison with volunteers and the general public. Research into marketing of membership sales, facility rentals, and activities in the park such as weddings and group tours would be included in the work experience.
Projects include promoting and coordinating special events held in the Park during the summer with the various volunteer committees; researching and sourcing pricing on major purchases as requested by the President of the board; researching information for a proposal to erect a four season multi-use greenhouse; assisting with the general operation of the Park during the summer months as required.
- To promote, book and organize activities held in the park such as weddings and rentals
- To assist by entering the daily income and expenses in Quick Books (training provided by accountant); preparing bank deposit and cheques for signature by authorized personnel
- To promote, book and organize tours for groups visiting the park with volunteer guides by contacting local horticultural and garden societies in the greater Edmonton area and northern and central Albert
- To review marketing materials to ensure up-to-date information is included
- To coordinate events with the volunteer committees such as Canada Day, Garden Day and Picnic in the Park
- To prepare an evaluation form to be completed by renters after the event
- To participate in the Communications Committee
- To research and evaluate if current pricing for park activities is competitive
- On request from the President, research and source pricing on major purchases such as ornamental trees or landscaping equipment
- Website updates, Facebook and Twitter postings
- To refer new volunteers to the Volunteer Coordinator
- General operations would include answering telephone and email enquiries; ensuring the rental facilities are ready for events; staff relief in Gift Shop if required during breaks (POS training provided)
This position will provide valuable work experience for a post secondary student studying in the area of marketing, management or commerce by giving them an opportunity to learn basic accounting skills, volunteer management, and research into a non-profit organization.
Hours of Work:
From May 8 to August 25, 7.5 hours each day, Wednesday to Sunday 8:30 to 4:30 with half hour lunch break.
MicroSoft Word and Excel experience is required. Basic accounting and experience volunteering in a non profit organization is helpful. Previous experience working in a horticultural setting would be valuable.